Want to watch this video? Sign up for the course here. Or enter your email below to watch one free video.

Unlock This Video Now for FREE

This video is normally available to paying customers.
You may unlock this video for FREE. Enter your email address for instant access AND to receive ongoing updates and special discounts related to this topic.

There are many different types of dental professionals you will come across when you walk into your local practice. First of all, you will meet your dental receptionist. She's there to help you, or he is there to help you book your appointments, explain the treatment to you, and explain the costs of those treatments as well. They can be a really useful person when you're taking somebody new to the dentist to help you explain all of the processes that will happen when you visit the practice. A dental nurse is somebody who can help you, look after you when you're in the dental practice. They help the dentist, they help the patient, and they're there to explain all the treatments and processes. If you have a question, ask them. They'll be only too happy to explain it to you. Dental nursing's a fantastic career which can progress in many different formats. You become a teacher or a tutor. You could become a dental nurse with additional duties in taking impressions or applying fluoride to children's teeth. It's a fantastic option for career progression.

A dentist is the professional that will help look in your mouth, diagnose and carry out dental treatment. They may be a specialist in a certain area or dentistry or a general dental practitioner. You may be asked to see a hygienist. A hygienist specialises in periodontal disease and the cleaning of dental teeth. Some hygienists have additional qualifications, making them a dental therapist. A dental therapist can carry out other treatment as well as periodontal treatment, such as small fillings. They can also carry out children's dentistry. You may be referred on to see another dental care professional, such as an oral surgeon, who specialises in extractions of difficult teeth or buried roots. A periodontal specialist will be able to carry out more intrusive dental procedures to help keep your gums healthy. You may be referred to a specialist endodontist, who carries out root canal treatments and helps prolong the life of those teeth. Whichever dental care professional you're referred to, if you have questions ask them. Think about what you may want to know before you go and see them. They'll only be too happy to explain or refer you to somebody else who can.